- 1 cup dates, soaked
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats (or gluten-free oats)
- 2 cups mixed nuts (I used half almonds, half pecans)
- 1 cup mixed seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit mix (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond or peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a blender, blend together the dates, coconut oil, vanilla, peanut butter/almond butter, spices, salt and coffee until combined. Now is the time to taste and alter the flavour to your liking :) Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, toss together oats, nuts, seeds, fruit and coconut - mix until evenly combined. Add in the date mixture, and toss until the dry ingredients are evenly coated. Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes, removing the sheet from the oven at the halfway point to give the granola a good stir for even cooking. Remove sheet once more and sprinkle coconut flakes on top of the granola and gently stir them into the mix. Return sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the coconut and nuts are toasted.
Remove sheet from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in a sealed container and keep for up to 3 weeks.