3 to 4 Tbsp (45-60 mL) olive oil or coconut oil for frying
1 white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 courgette/zucchini, roughly chopped
2 green apples, chopped into 1” pieces (leave the skin on them)
1 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp chilli powder
¾ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp coriander seeds
¼ cup (60 mL) oil of your choice
salt to taste
¾ cup frozen spinach, thawed (or slightly cooked spinach)
1 cup petit pois (baby peas) – frozen work very well
2 Tbsp brown sugar, or other sweetener of your choice
165 ml coconut milk – not a low fat one
¾ cup (180 mL) water
100 g sultanas, or large raisins
Wholegrain, fair trade rice to serve
- Heat your oil in a large ovenproof saucepan, and fry your onions until tender and transparent.
- Next, add all your spices in a mug, and mix with the ¼ cup of oil to make a curry paste.
- Now, add your courgettes and garlic to the onion mix, stir for a minute or so, then pour in your curry paste. The aroma will be emerging at this point.
- Add your apple pieces, and the remaining ingredients, except for the coconut milk and cream. Allow to simmer gently, adding a tiny bit of water at a time, and mixing.
- Start cooking your rice
- Cover, and let it cook for about 25 minutes – don’t let it dry out, and add a little more water if you need to.
- Finally, add the remaining ingredients, stir and cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- When it’s ready, uncover for 10 minutes, and it’s ready for serving with the rice
Modified from: http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2013/05/25/green-fruit-vegetable-curry-with-pomegranate-tomatoed-basmati-rice/