Soak in water for 3 or more hours:
1/4 cup kidney beans
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup buckwheat groats
1/4 cup lentils
1/4 cup barley
1/4 cup chickpeas
* feel free to use whatever beans, legumes or grains you wish - make it to 1.5 cups.
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 ribs celery, diced
8 button or crimini mushrooms, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder of your choice
3 cups water
3 cups diced tomatoes (I just put 6 tomatoes in a food processor)
2 teaspoons fresh, minced oregano or ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro or basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a soup pot that is heated to medium-high, add onions and sauté for a minute or two, keeping them moving with a wooden spoon (this draws out the natural sugars). Browning is fine but add a tablespoon of water now and then to avoid sticking and burning. Add the minced garlic and continue to sauté in the same manner for one minute.
2. Add to the pot: the celery, mushrooms, and herbs and spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder), and about ¼ cup of water, which will make the mixture more saucy. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the 3 cups water, tomatoes, bean mix. Cook at a low-medium boil for about 30 minutes, or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Remove from heat and serve. Optional: garnish with fresh oregano or some chopped cilantro or basil.