• 8 Portabella mushrooms (Or in my case, 2 massive ones)
• 2 cups pizza sauce (I used an organic pasta sauce)
• Vegan Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce (see recipe below)
• 1/3 cup of each: red, green, orange pepper, diced
• 1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
• 2-3 large basil leaves, finely diced
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease an oven tray with olive oil.
Make your Vegan Cashew Basil cheese sauce by using the recipe below. Set aside.
Wash and remove stems of portabellas. Place portabellas ‘belly’ side up on the baking sheet. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce into each portabella. Now spoon about 2 teaspoons of Vegan Cashew basil Cheese Sauce on top of the pizza sauce.
Chop the onion and pepper and then sprinkle onto portabellas.
Finally, shake on some red pepper flakes and sprinkle finely diced basil on top. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, watching closely as broiler temperatures vary.
Serve immediately and enjoy! Serves 3-4.
Vegan Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce
• 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
• 1/3-1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt, to taste
• 1/2 tsp cold-pressed sunflower oil (or coconut oil)
• 1 fresh basil leaf
• 1 small clove garlic
• 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast (in NZ also called savory or flaky yeast)
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of processor as necessary.
Modified from: http://blog.mushrooms.ca/2010/08/mushrooms-masters-tournament-of-taste.html