- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I'm not a fan of cans so I chopped up 3 large tomatoes in the food processor)
- 6 cups vegetable broth, low sodium, organic
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- Preheat large pot on medium heat. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and add garlic and onions. Saute until translucent. Add carrots and celery and saute for 5 more minutes. Add lentils and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Add spinach, remove from heat and let stand covered a few minutes. Serve warm.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Slightly modified from: http://ifoodreal.com/meatless-monday-spinach-lentil-soup-recipe/