3 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon non-dairy milk
1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour (I used spelt flour)
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used organic stoneground flour)
1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups grated zucchini ( used one very large zucchini - about 2 cups grated)
¾ cup chopped pineapple, drained (I used fresh pineapple - 1 slice cut into chunks)
¾ cup + 3 Tablespoons sugar (I used just 1/2 cup)
½ cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1) Whisk together the flax meal mixturePreheat your oven to 325F (163C). In a small bowl, whisk together the water and the flax meal. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes so the mixture gets goopy.
2) Curdle the non-dairy milkIn a medium bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for about 10 minutes so the non-dairy milk curdles.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredientsIn a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda.
4) Prepare the zucchini and pineappleGrate the zucchini and add to a small bowl. Add the chopped pineapple.
5) Whisk together the flavor building ingredientsIn another large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, canola oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Now whisk in the flax meal mixture and the non-dairy milk mixture from step 1.
6) Whisk the batter together then stir in the zucchini and pineapplePour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the zucchini and the pineapple.
7) Bake to perfection
To make muffinsLine a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Pour the batter into the muffin pan making sure the dough is filled up to the top of the pan and domed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
To make bread pour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe makes one loaf or 8 to 12 Vegan Zucchini Pineapple Muffins.