- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 large onions, halved and cut into thin half-moons
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 serrano chile, minced (I used 1/2 tsp chilli paste)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bunch (10 oz.) spinach (not baby), stems finely chopped and leaves cut in half; or use thawed frozen spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice or couscous
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium heat in a large nonstick frying pan. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and very soft with crisp edges, about 30 minutes. Transfer half to a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put lentils in a saucepan with 3 cups water and the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, uncovered, and skim foam. Simmer just until tender, 5 to 10 minutes (they'll fall apart a little). Remove bay leaves and set lentils aside--don't drain.
- Stir chile, ginger, coriander, turmeric, and 1 tsp. salt into pan of onions and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir onion-spinach mixture into pot of lentils and wipe frying pan clean.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in pan over medium heat. Add cumin and garlic and cook, stirring, until seeds are sizzling, about 1 minute; stir into lentils. Season with salt. Top lentils with reserved onion and serve over rice.
Cashew "Cream Cheese"
- 2 cups cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (or 2 heaped tablespoons of the NZ flaky yeast)
- 2 tablespoons more water if needed to facilitate blending (optional)
Baked Vegetable Stack
- 1 large red or purple onion, peeled, trimmed, sliced into 6 slices
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored, sliced into 3 pieces
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cored, sliced into 3 pieces
- 1 large zucchini, halved, sliced lengthwise, to make 6 pieces
- 1 large yellow squash, halved, sliced lengthwise, to make 6 pieces
- 1 medium-large eggplant, trimmed, sliced into 6 pieces
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps, stemmed, gills removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon each: dried thyme, dill, parsley
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
In a large bowl combine the onion, bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, portobello mushrooms.
In a glass cup combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, thyme, dill and parsley. Pour the marinade over the vegetables. Season with sea salt and ground pepper, to taste. Gently toss to coat. If you have time, you can leave this to marinate for an hour before baking. Place veggies on a non-stick tray or tray lined with baking paper. Bake for about 10 minutes, then take them out of the oven and flip the veggies. Put them back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they are tender. Don't over cook.
Create a vegetable stack. Don't forget to include the cashew cream cheese.
Serve with spiced red lentils.